ZooTampa at Lowry Park
ZooTampa sits just outside the city center, making it easy to visit during a day in Tampa. Animal habitats include panthers, manatees, elephants, hippos, rhinos, orangutans, and penguins, with options for backstage encounters. Visits to the zoo become even more exciting with the train, carousel, small roller coaster, open-air safari ride, and Roaring Springs water ride.
Admission can be purchased online in advance so you don’t have to wait in the ticket line. If you’re planning to visit other Tampa attractions, consider a combo ticket or city pass, which include attractions such as Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, Florida Aquarium, and the Museum of Science and Industry. Some Orlando sightseeing passes also include ZooTampa and other Tampa sites.
Recent reviews from experiences in Tampa
Things to know before you go
- Restaurants and food stands are available in the zoo; outside food is not allowed.
- The zoo is wheelchair-accessible with wheelchairs available to rent on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Strollers can also be rented first-come, first-served.
How to get there
The zoo is located off Sligh Avenue just 5 miles (8 kilometers) north of downtown Tampa. Traveling by car is the quickest option but you can get there on the city bus via Florida Avenue.
When to get there
The zoo is open daily from mid-morning to early evening with extended hours for seasonal events. Creatures of the Night and Christmas in the Wild are particularly popular. Other events include yoga at the zoo and toddler-specific activities.
For those looking to enhance their trip to ZooTampa, animal encounters are available where you can help feed or learn about the behind-the-scenes care of penguins, elephants, rhinos, and tortoises. A koala photo package is also on the menu of options.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Clearwater
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in St Augustine
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in Georgia