Explore our promoted experiences
- Civil War and plantation tour in Franklin from Nashville
- Learn from your knowledgeable guide about the Battle of Franklin, known as the five bloodiest hours of the Civil War
- Visit the Lotz House and Carter House, which were used in the war and still have bullet holes and blood stains
- Tour the Carnton Plantation and learn about its role during the Civil War and in the years that followed
- Great tour for history buffs!
Departure & Return
Tours depart from: Gray Line Ticket Booth at the Riverfront Train Station, 108 1st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37201 (off 1st Ave S, across from Acme Feed & Seed). Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to tour start time.
What To Expect
Once in Franklin, visit those sites close to where the Union and Confederate armies fought during the Civil War. Hear stories from the knowledgeable guide about the Battle of Franklin, fought on November 30, 1864 and known by many as the five bloodiest hours of the Civil War.
Visit the Carter House, which served as the Federal headquarters during the battle, and the Lotz House, which became a makeshift field hospital after the war. Both places have been refurbished, but still show their battle scars from the war with bullet and cannonball holes as well as blood stained floors and walls.
Then, spend time in the town of Franklin to shop, eat (own expense) and view some of its historic sites. From there, it’s off to the Carnton Plantation, a 48-acre farm which also served as a Confederate field hospital after the Battle of Franklin. A graveyard for the Confederate soldiers that perished remains — the largest private Confederate cemetery in the United States.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Lunch on your own in downtown Franklin.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Accessibility: ADA-compliant vehicles are available for most tours if you provide us with a 48-hour notice. After scheduling your tour, please contact our Dispatch Office to confirm availability.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- OPERATED BY Gray Line Tennessee
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized